Thursday 23 January 2014

6 week follow up appointment - Mum

I had my 6 week follow up appointment with the Dr, I wasn't sure what to expect, one thing was it went much quicker than I expected.

First thing I drove to my appointment, this was my first time behind the wheel since a few days before baby M arrived.  I was a little anxious but everything went smoothly.  By the time I got to the end of my street it felt like I'd not had the driving break.  Phew!!

My Dr checked over my scar, she stated that everything was healing really well.  I explained I still have pain at times in my right side where my drain was but she informed me this was normal and to monitor.

I was then asked how I was feeling and my mood.  I explained honestly my feelings.  I was reminded to seek support from family & my health visitor when required.

Then came the discussion on contraception.  I had been putting a lot of thought into this the past few days, I can't decide between the pill and the implant.  I discussed both with my Dr with pros and cons for both.  I am worried I will forget to take the pill, although I do like the thought that you can be in control on your period.  The implant is really appealing as it lasts for 3 years and I don't need to remember to take anything.  The worry is that when I tried the depo injection in the past it made me quite angry and moody.  The implant is the same hormone but at a lower dose.  Also with the implant after a few months you don't really have a period just occasional spotting, this appeals.  Prior to baby M arriving we had thought we would want 2 children, currently we are very happy with one, I know this could change as baby M gets older but the implant lasts for 3 years and can be removed at anytime should we change our mind about having further children.

I have an appointment with the nurse to discuss this further then I will either commence on the pill or get another appointment to have the implant put it.  Us women have it tough!!


No comments:

Post a Comment